NEW ANCHORING SYSTEM AND LOCKER

The welders and machinists at the Abaroa boat yard have spent the last 5 days fabricating new bow rollers to replace the old and not so substantial ones that Caliber installed when the boat was built. Following are a couple pictures of the new bow rollers that were designed by Dick Frank and Cecil Lange. Dick cruises on  SV Corazon de Acero (Heart of Steel )  which is a 42' steel boat Dick built in Silverdale, Washington.  Cecil is an SAMS surveyor and the designer and builder of the Cape George line of cruising sailboats.

The entire structure forward of the horizontal round tube at the front of the bow sprit is new.

The side plates are 3/8" stainless compared to the 1/4" used by Caliber. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You can see the horizontal plate that ties each of  the two side plates together as well as tying each anchor roller to the bow sprit. Those plates were not used in the original anchor roller system shown below.

You can also see the new brace that extends from the bow light down to the horizontal brace between the two roller boxes.  This support greatly strengthens the bow pulpit

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is the original bow roller after it was bent and broken by TS Marty.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dick and I also designed a new anchoring system for Mirador.      Miguel, the welder here, needed about five days to fabricate the new plates and attachements.

The intent was to remove ALL the load from the anchor rode going over the bow roller and move that load as low as possible on the bow.  We designed a new attachment point for the bobstay at the stem and incorporated an additional hole for a heavy shackle.

The shackle will fit through the lower hole and will be attached to 40' of either 5/8" or 1" three strand nylon line.  The line weight will depend on the severity of the anchoring conditions.

The nylon snubber line will be attached, via another spliced eye and shackle, to the chain.  I will then let out enough chain so  there is slack chain between the snubber line and the bow rollers.

The plan is for the entire anchoring load to be transferred thru the snubber line to the plate shown above.

 

 

 

The plate is made of three pieces of 3/8" stainless welded to exactly fit Mirador's bow.  The three bolts sticking thru the back of the plate were ARC welded with a special stick to the front side of the plate. 

The bobstay/anchor shackle bracket was then welded over the cut off bolt heads.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In order to remove the old bobstay mounting plate I had the workers cut the entire floor and all bulkheads out of the anchor locker, below which was the 85 gallon holding tank.  After thoroughly cleaning the entire tank and locker area they built up two inches of new glass and mat inside the bow of the boat. 

This is looking from on deck down into the bow of the boat.  The bolts for the bobstay/anchor attachment can be seen sticking thru the built up glass area. 

The two bolts on each side of the hull have not yet been installed in  this picture.

The picture below is a close-up of the entire attachment for the new anchoring system.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have purchased two 300 foot sections of 5/16" HT (schedule 40) chain to replace the 3/8" BBB chain that has now gotten pretty rusty. 

I removed the nine year old Maxwell VWC 1200 windlass and took it to a starter and motor repair shop.  They will rewind it, clean it, and paint it with epoxy. 

I also installed a reversing solenoid with a 50' control cable.  I will now be able to raise or lower the chain from the cockpit while using the engine to move Mirador as needed.

It is now 7:30PM local time and the Tacos de Asada are calling to me from Rancho Viejo which is conveniently located right next to the internet site I use to upload this WEB page to our WEB site.

I'll write more about the anchor locker rebuilt in a day or so when it is done.

I don't think Mirador will be back in the water until at least February 20.